Notes from the past…


Leave a comment

I have been busy…

…downloading Dr John F Kennedy’s NARA file to my hard drive, along with all the other goodies I have found on Footnote in the past several days. Why? You see, it’s like this….(remember the Saturday Night Live skits about Wayne’s World? The part where Wayne and Garth fade away into their day dreams (usually about Heather Locklear!)? Remember the strange sounds as their imaginations take over? Well, those sound effects can be heard right now!)… I originally had a free acount at Footnote and I had bought and downloaded a couple of death certificiates from them. The items I bought were supposed to stay in my “account” online, available to me forever more. Problem is, when I actually went to a paid subscription, those items disappeared from my account. So, now I make sure I download everything to my hard drive (which I had already done with the 2 death certificates, anyway), for when someday I don’t have a paid subscription. Just in case…

Anyway, the plan is to create ebooks out of these new-found yummies. Might be a little while, cause I have been pretty busy at work, plus it is so hot in Texas right now that I just don’t feel like doing anything, genealogy or otherwise.

But I’m sure I’ll get back to research soon enough. It’s hot in Texas 5-6 months out of the year, and I’m not fixin’ to waste all that valuable time, believe me!


1 Comment

A little revision (already!)

This publishing stuff is like a whole new language to me! I have learned so much in the past 2 days about using OpenOffice (Impress vs Writer) to create an e-book, exporting it as a .pdf document and then uploading it to Lulu.com and getting it ready to be viewed.

To begin with, I originally started with OpenOffice’s Writer program to put this book together, but soon switched to Impress because I couldn’t figure out how to make it look the way that I wanted with Writer. So I did all that work and exported it as a .pdf, ready to upload to WordPress. That wasn’t to be, as WordPress wouldn’t allow such an upload (I have no idea why). So the next step was to find a place where I could upload my .pdf file, then link it to my WordPress site. Oh, yeah, and that other site had to be free…

My cousin Susan has a very busy site, and I was visiting it a few days ago and noticed the e-books she has written and how she has handled them, and that led me to Lulu.com. It is free to set up a “storefront”, so that’s just what I did. The way I understand it, you can upload as much as you want to Lulu and it’s free, unless you plan to have your e-books published. Lulu doesn’t charge you if you sell your ebooks through a download format. If an ebook is published, then Lulu gets 20%. A fair deal, I think. And since I don’t plan to sell my e-books, it’s a perfect fit for me!

So last night I uploaded my e-book to my Lulu storefront and set up the link from this blog. All working fine…

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I needed to “revise” my e-book to make it look a bit more professional. The same size font throughout, images better centered, that sort of thing. A general tidying up was needed.

When I got up this morning, I copy-and-pasted each page back into Writer, then did all of the formatting work to clean it up. A bit of a steep learning curve, but I eventually got everything done the way I wanted. Exported to .pdf and it was back to Lulu!

Finally, I uploaded the revised version just a few minutes ago and and I’m back to the same point as last night! :)