Was James Ira Copeland the 6th (or 7th) and last husband of my great grandmother Dovie C McBurnett Hall Stanley Epperson (Epperson) Priddy Bailey Copeland?
Let’s examine the evidence:
My great grandmother was born Dovie C McBurnett, but over time her given name changed from Dovie C to Ruby Dovie
- 1900 Census- Dovie C McBurnett, age 8
- 1910 Census- Dovie Hall, age 19
- 1920 Census- Dovie Stanley, age 29
- 1930 Census- Ruby D Epperson
- Delayed birth certificate for son Delbert Eugene Hall, date unknown- Ruby Dovie McBurnett Hall
- 1942- Mrs Ruby Epperson marries John O Priddy
- Delayed birth certificate for son Victor Earl Hall, 1942- Ruby Hall Priddy
- Death certificate, obituary 1969- Ruby Dovie Copeland
Dovie C McBurnett was born in 1890 and for the last 60 years of her life lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area.
James Ira Copeland was born in 1897 and apparently lived his entire life in the North Texas area, much of that in Titus County, Texas.
A marriage license shows that James Ira Copeland married Ruby Priddy in Jan 1957 in Titus County.
A death certificate shows that James Ira Copeland was killed in an auto accident in Arlington, Texas in May 1957. He was married at the time of his death and was buried at Liberty Hill Cemetery in Titus County, Texas.
At this point, I believe James Ira Copeland was probably my great grandmother Dovie C McBurnett’s 6th (7th) and last husband. However, I’d still like more evidence to support this opinion.
Visit the downtown Fort Worth Public Library and hunt through the archived Fort Worth Star-Telegrams for an obituary and article about Copeland’s fatal car wreck
Visit the local Family History Library to get a copy of the Copeland/Priddy marriage license
Looks like the schedule for my next day off is set!