Notes from the past…


Leave a comment

Daily Journal 19 Nov 2009: A better note-taking system

About 3 weeks ago, I posted about uploading my TiddlyWiki research file to TiddlySpot, so that I could use it on- and off-line.

Well, I haven’t been very happy with this system. It is too much work to keep both files updated, and there are a couple of glitches with TiddlyWiki that are really pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but still annoying to me.

So last night I started searching for an alternative. My ultimate goal is unchanged: I want my genealogical research notes to be a part of my hosted site and I want to be able to link to them and edit them online. This with my less-than mastery of server mechanics.

A lot of Googling led me to several options, but none that would work the way I want.

MediaWiki is a one-click install for my hosting company, so I tried it. It was installed and running in less than 5 minutes, but the learning curve is more than I care for. I want something simple and straight-forward that I can begin using immediately.

I have come to the conclusion that my original goal is not possible at this time. There are several open source programs available that would probably work, but I just don’t have enough technical know-how to get one installed and up and running on my site.

Then I found Luminotes. I had looked at this program a few months ago and at that time it was a free web-app, but with only 2 GB storage, which ain’t enough for me. Since then the downloadable version has been made available free of charge, with the only space limitation being the amount of storage on my hard drive. The notes can be exported as html, which can then be uploaded to my site and linked to from my WordPress blog. All are fully searchable.

Click on the Notebook tab above to see the exported Luminotes pages.

Not my ideal solution, but one that I think I can live with.