Ruth's Genealogy

“And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”

I have been trying to find an application that, in a nutshell, acts as a virtual spiral notebook on my desktop that I can use to take notes and jot down my findings as I do my genealogy research. It must:

• be very simple to type text into
  • add cut ‘n paste snippets from online sites
  • allow images as I fnd them
  • reside on my desktop- no internet access required
  • no storage limits (except by my hard drive size)
  • searchable

In a perfect world…APPARENTLY!

I have spent the last 2 days Googling, downloading, trying, rejecting.

TiddlyWiki seems to be the closest, but what a pain in the backside! Very confusing, not very image-friendly. I have tried it in the past and upgraded to the latest version yesterday, which had fixed several of the problems I had run into, but still not easy to add images to.

Zim is similar to TiddlyWiki, but not nearly as versatile. Very little in the way of documentation avaiable- not user-friendly!

Several other wiki-type apps, none were what I’m looking for.

Online possibilites include Ubernote and Springnote. Both work ok, but I want SOMETHING ON MY DESKTOP! Neither has unlimited storage. I don’t want to suddenly find myself up against a wall!

A third option is to set up a WordPress blog as a notebook. Easy to add images to, at least.

Looks like I’ll go with SpringNote- but I still want something DESKTOP!

11 thoughts on “A virtual notebook

1. Ruth Stephens says:

Wow, Yoonsun, I am impressed….maybe I’ll go back to Springnote. It certainly seems to be working for you!

Thanks so much for the link! A great example of what Springnote can do!

2. Ruth Stephens says:

Thanks, Vickie!

I’ll check it out.

3. Ruth Stephens says:

Looks great, Thomas!

I really like the tree structure. Easy to rearrange notes.

I think this just might work!

4. Ruth Stephens says:

Thanks, Thomas!

Looks interesting, I’ll check it out and let you know.

5. Vickie says:

Just an FYI . . . I have been using TurboNote in a similar manner for 5+ years. I do not at this time use it for images, but it will do screen captures. It’s like a sticky note for your desktop . . . from . . . and it’s free . . . not sure about any storage limits . . . I have never exceeded them if there are any . . . but then I only use it for “current” projects . . . and things I need quick access to on an almost daily basis . . . vle . . .

6. This is a free, open-source and downloadable app called The Guide:

It can also be loaded on a USB/Flash drive and taken with you on genealogy research trips.

7. Ruth Stephens says:

Hi Thomas!

Yeah, I looked at Evernote, but there is a monthly usage limit. I don’t want to be tied to that. Actually Springnote seems to be just what I’m looking for, but not as a desktop app. Mac seems to have a good one, Notebook, by I have a Windows Dell. I found a blog run by a chemist that is set up like a research notebook, full of his scribbles and scratches. That may be the way to go. I kinda like TiddlyWiki, but it’s a pain in the backside to add images to it. I’ll keep looking…
    Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Debbie, if I find something, I’ll certainly post it. I’ve been Googling for 3 days, haven’t found what I want yet. Basically, a virtual spiral notebook on my desktop where I can get to it anytime without needing internet access. Gotta be out there somewhere…
    Have a great day!

8. Debbie McCoy says:

I’ve looked for the same thing. If you find anything, let me know. I’ve tried some of the web-based programs, but I just don’t like them. Like you said, I want something on my desktop. I am just using MS Word to take notes and web snippets.

9. Have you check out Evernote? Many Google Notebook people have migrated over to that.

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 272 other followers