Oh, yeah, I’m also working on new graphics for this blog. Time for a “noo doo”!
A few days ago, I was reading a post on DearMYRTLE‘s genealogy blog, and learned that FamilySearch.org has set up a site where you can view un-indexed genealogy records on microfilm. Only a few types of records are available now, as this is a test-site to evaluate, among other things, the image-viewer they plan to use. You have to register and then it takes a day or 2 for your registration to be activated. Now most of what they have available is freely available at other sites. When my registration was activated, I immediately went to the site and logged in. As part of the project, FamilySearch – Record Search Pilot, the registrant is given a “challenge”, an assignment to find a certain document and then provide feedback on the task. After that, you are invited to try to find info on someone in your own family tree.
It took me about 5 minutes to find the “challenge” document, then I went looking for something on my folks. I quickly found the actual Utah death record (not a transcription or index!) for a great-great granduncle, Hiram Bennett. This past weekend, when I found the death record, I was able to print it out but not save it to my hard drive, as there was some type of glitch. I relayed this problem in my feedback, and received a reply that same day they were aware of that problem and were working on it. This morning, I tried again to save the image, and it worked perfectly!
I am so excited about this project! FamilySearch.org has collected such an incredible amount of data, and the thought of that data becoming more easily available is a real treat!